Alpha Media, Louisville to rename radio stations for Kosair Children’s Hospital Radiothon
November 13, 2015 – Alpha Media Louisville, KY announced that they will be renaming their radio stations on November 19th and 20th in honor of local children who are fighting or have lost battles to cancer and other diseases. The stations will broadcast live from Kosair Children’s Hospital to raise funds through the Children’s Hospital Foundation.
The fundraiser helps the hospital purchase new technology and equipment, expand patient care programs and develop life-saving research. The event is held in partnership with the Children’s Miracle Network.
The following Alpha Media stations will be renamed during the two-day event:
• 99.7 WDJX will become 99.7 DREW-FM in honor of Andrew Holland, a Radiothon legend and close friend of 99.7 who passed away in August. Andrew fought cancer throughout his teens and served as an inspiration through his positive attitude.
• 102.3 The Max to 102.3 ADDIE-FM in honor of 4-year-old Addie Roberts. Addie was diagnosed with leukemia at age 2. After two years of chemo, she will have her last treatment just before Christmas.
• Magic 101.3 to MAXWELL 101.3 in honor of 9-year-old Maxwell Johnson. Maxwell has a mild form of sickle cell anemia and was born three months premature. He spent two months in the neonatal intensive care unit at Kosair Children’s Hospital.
• B96.5 to JERRON 96.5 in honor of Jerron Harrison, who was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis at 6 weeks old. The illness did extensive damage to the growth plates in his legs, causing them not to grow. Jerron has had more than 30 limb-lengthening surgeries throughout his life.
• OldSchool 105.1 to GABRIELLE 105.1 in honor of Gabrielle Runyon, an eighth-grader at Noe Middle School. Gabrielle has spinal muscular atrophy and has undergone multiple spine surgeries at Kosair Children’s Hospital.
During the radiothon, personalities from the stations will interview families and children who received care at Kosair Children’s Hospital. The broadcast, which has raised more than $1.5 million to date, is one of the largest radiothons in the country.
Individuals and businesses can donate by calling the Kentuckiana McDonald’s Phone Bank at (877) 335-5437. They also are invited to stop by the hospital or visit each station’s website during the two-day event.
Alpha Media WDJX Program Director, Otis Maher commented on the announcement, “Coming up on the 7th year of the Alpha Louisville cluster making miracles happen with Kosair Children’s Hospital Radiothon, we wanted to make it bigger than ever! In August we lost a young man who was a major part in the Radiothon every year named Drew. It only made sense to completely change our name/brand, in honor of him, to 99.7 Drew-FM and really let the true spirit of the two days shine, through his name and personality that we all remember so well.”Back To Press Releases