Director of Sales
Alpha Media – San Jose is seeking an experienced cross-platform Director of Sales to lead our talented team of Account Executives, oversee the development of programs and opportunities to maximize revenues, supervise the Director of Business Development and the National Sales Manager. This individual will be charged with motivating and leading a team to consistent, sustainable revenue growth for a company committed to return on investment for local advertisers. A deep knowledge of relevant market intelligence and trends, including evolving technologies, consumer behaviors, client expectations, shifting competitive landscape, and operational efficiencies is required.
The successful candidate is an enthusiastic and hardworking person who exudes passion for Alpha Media’s unique platform and value proposition while providing visible leadership and communication to the market. This person must have a proven ability to prioritize work and manage the stress of a high pressure work environment and will be expected to comply with all company procedures and internal controls associated with the assigned duties.
Alpha Media is one of the fastest growing companies in media today. We have a passion for great radio and digital content. Our philosophy is to be smaller, faster, bolder, and work as a high functioning, best of class team at all levels. We hire and retain top talent who are unique, innovative, and vibrant. We believe in creating progressive products, world-class events, and building strong relationships in our communities.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Alpha Media operates 250 radio stations within 50 markets across the United States covering all formats.
We are live, local, and can’t wait to talk to you!
Responsibilities of this position may include the following:
- Develop and manage key relationships with decision makers at current and potential clients to grow revenue across Alpha Media platforms (e.g., broadcast radio, on-line radio, events, etc.).
- Work directly with local CEOs, CMOs, Business Owners, Media Planners, and other key decision makers to create marketing strategies.
- Actively participate in business and community associations with the intension of developing extensive relationships with local influencers and decision makers.
- Review revenue forecasting with Market Manager and Controller on a weekly basis.
- Develop and execute the strategic plan for the cluster’s local and national sales programs.
- Work with inventory pacing and yield management systems to achieve maximum revenue and coordinate with Traffic Manager to optimize commercial inventory.
- Develop rate policy and review at regular intervals in response to market trends.
- Develop annual budget and meet regularly with Controller and Market Manager to review and update.
- Hire, train, and coach Sales Managers and Account Executives to provide financial results for the stations and their clients.
- Manage account lists, including working with the Controller and Finance Department on collections.
- Client support and development as needed and requested by the Account Executives.
- Negotiate client broadcast rates, commercial schedules and unit pricing.
- Drive results through sales team and hold them accountable to expectations.
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with the ability to adapt quickly and consistently exceed sales targets.
- Provide regular updates to the Market Manager.
- Provide visible leadership and communication to the market.
Requirements of this position include:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in a related field.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience with a minimum of five years sales management experience.
- A proven track record of running a successful sales organization while demonstrating exceptional leadership skills and holding employees accountable to business and sales metrics.
- Strong management skills with ability to leverage employee’s strengths and manage a variety of personalities and interpersonal conflicts.
- Must be a strategic thinker and planner with the ability to research, plan, prepare and execute the sales objectives.
- Computer and spreadsheet proficient.
- Ability to create, maintain, and improve client relationships.
- Possess a dynamic presence, stellar written and presentation skills, and excellent communication and influencing abilities across multiple levels.
- Ability to train and coach sales team to maximize revenue through effective inventory management and ‘lead from the front’ management techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of sales principles and practices and an ability to coach others to achieve their goals.
- Ability to make tough business and people decisions while creating positive energy in the face of challenges.
- Ability to multi-task and balance priorities.
- Ability to grow the business and find new revenue opportunities over time.
- Ability to communicate in a way that focuses, inspires, and engages employees to deliver results.
If you feel you are a qualified candidate and want to join a fast moving, growing entity submit your cover letter and resume ASAP by clicking the Apply button. You may also mail the same to:
ATTN: HR – Director of Sales
190 Park Center Plaza, Suite 200
San Jose, CA 95113
Alpha Media is an equal opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify.